LOCKPORT – Lockport’s Rotary Club has made steady strides in cleaning up the area’s landscape during recent weeks, committing separate efforts towards trash collection around the City of Lockport in both March and April. These efforts have helped visually restore the areas around Market Street, Canal Street and Exchange Street; centering around cleaning up the streets, parks and walking trails within that region.
The Rotary Club of Lockport, NY was chartered on May 1, 1919, making it the oldest service organization in Lockport. Charles A. Upson was elected as the club’s first president, and George C. Lewis as secretary. The club began with 25 charter members, and within two years, had grown to 70 members.
Rotary’s objective, according to their mission statement, has always been to fulfill community needs and advance world peace and understanding. Today this is accomplished through programs and projects to support health care, youth development, sustainable communities, and cultural exchange at the local, regional and international levels.
The Rotary Club of Lockport will hold another cleanup effort on May 8th. They will meet at Danny Sheehan’s Restaurant at 8:00 AM to organize and distribute gear. This effort will fixate on cleaning up Highway Route 31.
FEATURE PHOTO: Lockport Rotary Club Members – Dick Mullaney, Steve Cotten, Mark Verheyn, Bob Shaw, Maria Biano, Jim Bull, Mike Mullane, Martina Fern and Paul Lehman.